Rhinoplasty Palo Alto
Nasal surgery (rhinoplasty) improves the appearance and proportion of your nose, enhancing facial balance. Rhinoplasty can also correct impaired breathing caused by structural abnormalities.
Who is a candidate?
- An abnormal appearance of the nose as a result of birth defects, injury, or disease.
- A nose that is cosmetically unattractive or does not “fit” with other facial features.
- A more attractive nasal shape in better proportion to other facial features.
- The cosmetic procedure is done on an outpatient basis under general anesthesia.
- Frequently used for larger noses, nose reshaping surgery involves one external incision across the columella (strut between the nostrils). The surgeon then reshapes bones, cartilage, and soft tissues inside the nose to achieve an improved nasal shape.
- If only the nasal tip is abnormal, it may be corrected with a less extensive procedure.
- Large nostrils may be reduced through tiny incisions at the outer base of the nostrils.
Recuperation and Healing
- The patient goes home with an external cast or splint in place. The nose may be packed with surgical gauze for 24 to 48 hours. The cast or splint is usually removed after one week.
- Initial discomfort is easily controlled with oral medication.
- Majority of swelling and bruising subsides progressively over two to four weeks.
- External sutures (if any) are removed in four to six days. Internal sutures dissolve.
- Semi-final result is evident in three months. Final result is evident in 12 to 14 months, which is the time necessary for complete tissue softening.
Because the rhinoplasty procedure is cosmetic, it is not covered by insurance. However, if the nasal deformity is due to a recent injury, insurance coverage may be available.
The specific risks and the suitability of this procedure for a given individual can be determined only at the time of consultation. All surgical procedures have some degree of risk. Minor complications that do not affect the outcome occur occasionally. Major complications are unusual.