Traditional or medical dermatologists tend to focus on issues revolving around health. Skin cancer, contact allergies, warts, eczema, psoriasis, and other issues that would fall under the banner of general healthcare.
Many of the services offered by traditional dermatologists can improve the appearance of the skin. Some are, in fact, designed to do just that. The larger scope of a medical dermatology practice will, however, be medical issues.
Cosmetic dermatologists focus on issues of beauty and address things like:
- Fine lines and deep wrinkles
- Loose and sagging skin
- Hollow or sunken skin
- Acne and acne scars
- Pigmentation irregularities
- Tonal inconsistencies
Both medical and cosmetic dermatologists can provide services for rosacea and similar conditions, and both may address spider veins and broken blood vessels as well.
Which Is Right for Me?
If you are experiencing issues with your skin, it’s a good idea to talk to a dermatologist. If your concerns seem medical, you may want to speak with a general dermatologist. If they skew aesthetic, you may want to talk to one of the board-certified plastic surgeons at Altos Oaks.
We offer a wide range of nonsurgical skin rejuvenation options that can help you look and feel your absolute best with minimal downtime and few if any risks. Some of our most popular options include:
- Neuromodulators. BOTOX® Cosmetic can relax crow’s feet, frown lines, and forehead creases
- Dermal Fillers. Juvederm, Restylane, and Sculptra can eliminate deep wrinkles, add volume, and produce a softer appearance
- Chemical Peels. These can address large pores, poor skin texture, and acne scars
- Laser Skin Resurfacing. Skin resurfacing treats many issues including sun damage, spider veins, and stretch marks
- IPL. Photofacial can treat age spots, birth marks, and visible signs of aging
- Microdermabrasion. Micro-wounds address things including pigmentation and texture issues
If you have questions about cosmetic dermatology, please call Altos Oaks Plastic Surgery at 650-934-7020 to schedule a consultation today. Located in Los Altos, we welcome dermatology patients from San Jose, Mountain View, and all surrounding areas.