Scar revision is a cosmetic procedure designed to reduce the visibility of highly noticeable or distracting scars. Using advanced techniques to make scars as inconspicuous as possible, our plastic surgeons take every care to blend and smooth scar tissue to restore a healthy and natural look to the impacted area.
Depending on the location, thickness, and type of scar being treated, there are several options that may be utilized for revision. These include:
- Topical ointments and creams
- Laser treatments
- IPL Photofacial
- Chemical peel
- Skin grafting
- Surgical revision
Mild to moderate scarring often respond well to nonsurgical options such as laser treatments and topical creams, but thicker and more serious scarring may require surgical intervention. The best way to find out which option is best for you is through a one-on-one consultation with one of the board-certified plastic surgeons at Altos Oaks.
If you live in or around Los Altos, California and are interested in learning about your scar revision options, please call 650-934-7020 to schedule a consultation with one of our plastic surgeons today. Altos Oaks Plastic Surgery welcomes scar revision patients from San Jose, Santa Clara, and all nearby areas of California.
Types of Scars
Scaring is a natural part of the healing process. The type of scar that develops depends on several factors including the depth and cause of the injury, the race, age and sex of the injured person, and how well the wound is tended to during the healing process.
Scars that can be treated through revision surgery include:
- Hypertrophic Scars. These scars develop directly over a wound and are often raised and red in color. Hypertrophic scars may become wider and change color over time.
- Keloid Scars. These scars typically extend beyond the boundary of a wound and are often thick and noticeable. Keloid scars can pucker, a consequence that may result in limitations to movement.
- Contracture Scars. Typically following burns or substantial tissue loss, contracture scars restrict movement by pulling the skin together during the healing process. These scars can impact muscle, nerve, and joint function and often result in serious disfigurement and physical discomfort
Other scars, such as acne scars, fall under the above categories and are treated based on their type and cause.
Scar Revision Candidates
The best candidates for scar revision are nonsmokers who are in generally good health. Nicotine is a vascular constrictor that increases risks for thick and visible scars. Even smokeless products like vape pens will significantly increase risks for scarring. If you use tobacco, you will need to stop completely before your scar revision surgery.
In addition to being in generally good health, good candidates for scar revision should:
- Be free of skin diseases and conditions
- Have realistic expectations of scar revision outcomes
Scars can be revised, diminished, reduced, blended, and hidden. They cannot be completely erased. During your initial consultation with one of our experienced plastic surgeons, we will carefully evaluate your scars, provide you with honest information about treatment options and likely outcomes, and help you choose the best solution for your needs.
Contact Our Scar Revision Specialists In Los Altos!
Please call Altos Oaks Plastic Surgery at 650-934-7020 to schedule a consultation. You can also fill out the form on this page or our contact page. We serve Mountain View, Palo Alto, and surrounding South Bay communities from our convenient Los Altos location.